Wednesday, September 4, 2013

See a need, Fill a need!

I view the psychology of learning as a handbook to effectively teaching. From the first class, I have identified the first rule of learning: Teachers meet the needs of learners. Since teachers play a crucial role in how learners understand it's important to identify the role and key qualities of teachers. For without the one who has the knowledge, the learner will not gain or benefit from the encounter. 

Sitting in the class, Psychology of Learning, for the first time, I did not know what to expect. I thought it would be a tough class with an hour and a half of lecturing. However, to my surprise the opening statement of the professor is, "together we are going to form how this course is taught." With that statement, there was such an empowerment because I feel like I'm needed and valuable to this course. Then to add to my feelings of entitlement,  the professor allowed us to reflect and share the most exciting learning experience.

My most exciting learning experience was this past summer. For over a year, I wanted to volunteer at a women's shelter. While I was in training, a supervisor came to me and said "Would you be interested in working instead of volunteering because I could see you being a tremendous asset." Of course, my reply was yes. Her response was "I'm going to vouch for you to get a job."   This response impacted me in such a great way to know that someone sees me diligently living my purpose driven life.

In August, I started training. I was so excited to learn about my new job. As the night staff/ supervisor was training me, I had a blank stare on my face. I could tell she genuinely had an interest in making sure I understood what she was teaching me. So she addressed her concerned and changed the training from lecturing to a conversation and visualizing lesson. She encouraged me to ask questions and we went a tour around the location, so I could see what she was saying verses only hearing what she's saying.  

From this experienced, I am for certain that I am visual learner regardless of what I am learning. I assumed being a visual learner who needs to participate is just within school but now I know that I have to learn in that matter whenever I am learning. I understand I won't always have the learning experience that best suites me as a learner but I can participate/visualize in other ways such as taking notes. It keeps me engaged. 

ANother key element to how a learner remains engaged is the teacher. By the supervisor  being intuitive, she was able to make adjustments to make sure I stayed engaged and understood what she was teaching. In the psychology of learning, the teacher plays a vital role in students retaining the information needed to accomplish task of the present and future. 

I started this blog by speaking on the professor empowering me by letting the class know, we are going to  form this course together followed by the chance to give feedback on the course requirements, description, etc.  I believe the first step to understanding the psychology of learning is identifying the role of the teacher. Without a teacher or one with the substance/ knowledge to give, the learners needs cannot be meet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment